What Social Media Means to Me- The Bad



I know this is an ironic post because as I’ve said before, this blog cite is one big project for my Social Media Principals class at Ohio Northern University. In my class, we learn how to use social media platforms in a professional way. However, we don’t talk about how kids my age actually uses the platforms. Social media to a teenager is everything, the likes, the comments and the views on a post can tear you down or build you up. For months, my platforms were on the rise and I felt on top of the world, but people do not realize that I am behind the screen. I am not a computer or a robot, even though you only see me through your electrical device. 

In class we learned that an influencer is a relatable person, seen as trustworthy and has a good source of information. An influencer to me is looking in the mirror and realizing “they’re right, I’m not ‘That pretty’, maybe I do need more makeup, or to lose some weight”. An influencer to me is waking up, dreading to check your following count because you’ve lost over 50k in two months and haven’t seen a follower gain in a few weeks. An influencer to me is putting on a smile for the camera and forcing yourself to post content because “that what they want”. 
I am in no way an extremely popular Youtuber, Instagramer, or TikToker, yet these things run through my head daily, hourly and every minute. I am addicted to my phone and these apps, not because I want to see the followers rise or the likes roll in, but because I can’t help but read the bad comments and watch my following shrink. 

I haven’t posted on YouTube in over a month, and TikTok in a few days, nor have I checked the follower count or comments. 

I want this post, not to make you feel bad for me, but to realize that Social media has many positives, as well as negatives. Teenagers are impacted by the smallest things; we are very fragile. If your social media is dragging you down, take some time to yourself, remind yourself who you are and get back the confidence you had before. The haters will do all they can to drag you down and you have to realize that they’re most likely just jealous. 

Remember what your momma told you years ago, “Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Studying Habits

How to Keep Yourself Busy While at Home from School

Final Week Stress Help